Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Why We Don't Celebrate Halloween

I'd like to start this blog by saying I have nothing against those of you who have decided to participate in Halloween. My entire family celebrates Halloween and I love them just the same. But, after Kevin and I were baptized last Easter we decided as a family that we were not going to celebrate Halloween. This was a very long conversation and entailed a lot of research.

Halloween has strong roots in paganism and is glorifying the worship of satan. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be celebrating or worshiping satan nor do I want my child. No one can deny that this is a "holiday" for evil.

Dressing up: God made us, His children, in image of Himself. He thinks so highly of us. We are His number one! He made animals well below us yet we insist on dressing our kids up as animals. Why? We are above that. Witches, goblins, vampires, bloody zombies etc..... There is nothing holy or Christian about them. So why do we dress our kids like them?

Decorations: I don't decorate for Halloween but I do decorate for Fall. I love Fall. The changing of the leaves, pumpkins and gourds, crisp cool air and the smell. Ahhh..... and by the way, I don't carve my pumpkins. I think they're beautiful and of Gods creation just the way they are.

I've heard it from many, including my family, "Why are you allowing your child to miss out on the fun and enjoyment of trick or treating? Firstly, my child just turned two, she has no idea what Halloween is right now, therefore she isn't missing out. Secondly, growing up not celebrating it is not going to be any type of deprivation. That's just silly. And thirdly, I don't feel she will be missing out. There are another 364 days of the year she can have candy and can play "dress up". I feel Halloween will be a good time to show we are Christians, we are different and we are not of this world.

Lastly, again we are not against those who celebrate or promote Halloween but "...against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Ephesians 6:12 KJV)


Scripture to ponder:

Deuteronomy 18:9 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations. KJV

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; KJV

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. KJV

James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. KJV

2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. KJV

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. KJV

Matthew 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. KJV

Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. KJV

2 comments:

  1. This is very informative!!!!Thanks for blogging...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and you are welcome. Just to add to this, bobbing for apples originated when people were being sacrificed they could save their own life if they bobbed for apples.........in boiling water. Church's have this "game" during Halloween as well.

    ReplyDelete